Bright Edge Webinar: SEO and Using Schema
High level presentation on how to incorporate schema markup. Some of the points discussed:
- you can use schemas for videos, articles, ratings and news
- use Google Rich Snippet testing tool to check URL and HTML
- perform a browser test
- there are schema generators that can help with schema markup otherwise it is a manual process
- there was a lot of discussion on Bright Edge features that were not entirely specific to schema
- schema is still being under utilized (it was launched four years ago)
- review competitors data to see if they are leveraging schema (use Google's schema checker to add the competitor's URL in)
- you can use the GWT Structured Markup tool
Some of the questions asked included:
Is there a way to auto generate schema? - Work with programmers and create templates. (Editor's note: There are schema generators that can be used to assist with schema markup)
What is microdata and JSONLD?
How long does it take for schema to show up in the SERPs? It depends on how efficient Google crawls your site. Presenter mentioned as quick as 3 weeks.
Does schema improve your rank? Schema can help improve your click through rate. No real knowledge in terms of the impact on rankings.
Can I mark up individual events? Yes. Date is important as Google will not show anything from the past.
All in all, really a high level presentation.