10 Great Mobile Resources to Checkout
| Tuesday, June 28, 2011
||Mobile is coming, mobile is coming!!! Wait mobile is already here. In fact in some parts of the world, mobile has been around for quite some time. When I say mobile, I am really referring to mobile marketing. I am still not seeing a lot of organization leverage mobile marketing as well as they should. Innovation in the mobile field has produced some pretty sick (in the good kind of way) technologies. Just think of all of the cool smartphones out there. We have all seen the stats on global mobile usage, so we know that mobile is only going to continue to explode. For those of you not in the know, according to the International Telecommunication Union from October of 2010, there are 5.3 billion mobile subscribers (roughly 77 percent of the World's population). As a consumer or as a marketer mobile now touches you like never before. We are truly in an age where we cqan "reach out and touch someone" at anytime and pretty much at any place.
So just how does one keep up on top of mobile trends and technologies? I'm not a mobile marketing expert by any means, although we have featured pieces on mobile search in the past with posts such as our popular Guide for Mobile Search Optimization. I find the world of mobile search fascinating so as I was researching some data and looking for mobile stats, I came across a ton of great resources on mobile that I thought I would share. Some of the reources are simply recent articles of the opinon variety while others are full blown mobile specific sites. Regarless, I think that you will find value in many of the folowing mobile resources.
10 Great Mobile Resources to Checkout
These resources are in random order so feel free to check them out at your leisure.
- Mobile Marketing Watch - http://www.mobilemarketingwatch.com/
Stay up-to-date on the latest mobile news with fantastic insight into mobile technologies, devices and companies. Great resource for both consumers and marketers. The site features a number of useful resources including a section on whitepapers and a look at predictions for the mobile industry http://www.mobilemarketingwatch.com/category/mobile-resources/in-the-news/predictions/.
- Mobile Design and Development - O'Reilly.com
This is a great one-stop shop resource for learning about the fundamental principles and techniques for creating designs for multiple mobile devices. This is but an excerpt from the book "Mobile Design and Development" by Brian Fling.
- Mobile Shopping Trends (Infographic) - Read Write Web. Some interesting stats for the ecommerce and retail folks. Learrn how consumers are leveraging mobile as they make their purchase decisions. Did you know that it is estimated that world e-commerce sales in 2015 that take place via a mobile device will be $119 billion?
- Top 3 Takeaways From Google’s Inside Search Event - Bryson Meunier. Fun quote from the article:
As Google’s mobile ads team put it in a webinar last month, for a business to not have a mobile site to engage the 15-30% of Google queries that are mobile is like “not engaging with your customers on a Thursday—literally like having your doors closed.”
- Mobile Web Best Practices 1.0 - http://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-bp/. Just a good resource to bookmark.
- Automatic mobile rendering for Google Sites - a recent post that shows you where Google may be heading with regards to mobile. http://googledocs.blogspot.com/2011/06/automatic-mobile-rendering-for-google.html
- dotMobi - http://mtld.mobi/ One of the great resources from dotMobi is their inventory of industry trends http://mtld.mobi/resource/why-mobi
- Nearly 80% of "On-the-Go" Audience Shops on Mobile, 72% Buy Local Deals - interesting data on what the "busy" kids are up to these days when it comes to mobile usage.
- JiWire Mobile Audience Insights Report - some great inisght into recent mobile usage trends and where we can expect to see growth. This is really a tremendous resource for those looking for mobile demographics. Here is a sneak peek at some data on the top 10 mobile devices being used in the US based on data from Q1 2011:
- 14 Differences Between Mobile Search & Desktop Search Results - another informative piece from Bryson Meunier over at his Search Engine Land coolumn.
Labels: mobile marketing, mobile search
|posted by Jody @ Tuesday, June 28, 2011