|We, like many, have monitoring a number of sites to see if they have been hit by the latest Google algorithm update, which was dubbed "Google MayDay" by Webmaster World. The good news? We have not seen this impact any of the sites that we work on including large e-commerce sites. This is a vote of confidence in the recommendations that we have been sending to our clients as their sites are doing the right things to become authorities in their given industries. This includes:
Many in the industry have chimed in including Google's Matt Cutts in a video that you can find within the links mentioned below.
- optimizing for the proper mix keywords between head/torso/long-tail phrases as part of your keyword strategy
- creating unique, informative and useful content through content development strategies
- creating unique product descriptions anyone?
- obtaining quality links by producing useful content as mentioned above
Matt Cutts: "This is purely our algorithm thinking that some sites are better match for some queries than other sites..." (read: long-tail). This will change how Google assesses which sites are the best match for long-tail queries. Matt goes on to state that if your site is being affected to:
There has been some great discussion about "MayDay", from Search Engine Roundtable to Vanessa Fox and Matt Cutts. One month after initially reported, we have come up with the definitive resource list for the Google MayDay algorithm update.
- go back and ask yourself do you have a high quality site?
- are you showing up for the most qualified searches?
- what can I do to add great content?
- do people consider you an authority? (read: quality inbound links)
Google MayDay Update: Definitive List of Resources
Expect more stories on "MayDay" to emerge. The fact is "MayDay" is an algorithm update, confirmed by Google itself. You probably do not need to panic because by now you should be doing the things that you should be doing to make your site a great resource for your audience. Your site should feature unique and informative content that will help you become the authority your need to be on your given discipline.
- Google MAYDAY Update Hitting Long Tail Ranking? - Search Engine Roundtable
- Google MAYDAY Update - SERP Changes May 2010 - Webmaster World
- Whiteboard Friday - Google's May Day Update & What It Means for You - SEOmoz
- Google Confirms “Mayday” Update Impacts Long Tail Traffic - Vanessa Fox - SE Land
- Google May Day Update Confirmed, Our Fourth Post - Search Engine Roundtable
- Video: Google's Matt Cutts On May Day Update
- Is This Google Algorithm Update Costing You? - Web Pro News
- Mayday! Mayday! Google Changes Impact Long Tail Search - Marketing Pilgrim
- Google "Mayday" Update - New Long-Tail Indexing from Google? - Marketing Jive
- Google’s Mayday Update and What to Do About It - Step Forth
Labels: Google MayDay update