|SEO Education & Knowledge Transfer: 21 Ways to Share SEO Knowledge
|Wednesday, March 31, 2010
One of the pains that continues to be identified in most organizations that we work with revolves around education. The need for education on SEO and SEM is continuing to evolve and as a result B2B companies and B2C companies alike are looking for ways to educate their teams on the latest techniques to ensure online success. The Search industry is evolving quickly and there is a need to continually educate yourself on best practices and emerging trends that you can incorporate into your online marketing strategy. So how do we do this?
Information overload is a problem that is a direct result of the digital age. The Internet gives anyone and everyone access to the world's data with the ease of a few clicks. Internet users continue to hone their search skills as people are becoming more judicious and skillful with search than ever before. The number of touch points that we have with information is at an all-time high. Another result of the digital age is the shift in marketing. Born was a new breed of marketer, the online marketer. From here new disciplines have emerged such as SEO, SEM and SMM.
Within these options there is a tremendous amount of information that one must learn in order to participate successfully with their online marketing efforts. Take SEO for example. SEO, also known as nature search optimization or organic search optimization is really only 10-15 years old, but it has transformed greatly during this time. Technology and innovation has ensured this.
SEO Knowledge Transfer: Educating Your Organization
So how does one acquire and share SEO knowledge? In this digital age, there are numerous ways to transfer knowledge. Of course for this process to take place, we need a minimum of two parties:
Think about all of the potential mechanisms that we can use to transfer SEO knowledge, or any knowledge for that matter. By blogging, I am currently leveraging one of these mechanisms right now. Yet there are various ways to share things like SEO tips and best practices for educating your organization. The following list is just a few of the avenues that you can use for SEO knowledge transfer.
- Someone who shares the knowledge
- Someone who acquires the knowledge
Of course with any type of knowledge sharing, there are really two ways of communicating:
On-demand/recorded could be a third manner of sharing knowledge.
21 Ways to Share SEO Knowledge in Your Company
Items 1-7 deal with ways you can verbally share SEO information. Items 8-15 are more from a written perspective. The remainder involve sharing information that is made available on-demand.
For the most part, these mechanisms can be used for both acquiring information and sharing of information.
- In-Person visits
- Mentoring/Peer Learning
- Job Shadowing
- Team Events
- Team Huddles
- Conference Calls / Teleconferencing
- Internally with your team
- Externally with clients
- Externally with others
- Using technology such as GoTo Meeting or other teleconferencing technology
- Formal Lectures
- In-person (networking)
- Speaking engagements
- White Papers
- Internal white papers produced by your organization
- External white papers from other resources
- Reports - monthly, quarterly or annual reports
- Dashboards - reporting success metrics via a dashboard that can be viewed in real-time or scheduled as a weekly or monthly event.
- Internal Newsletters
- Instant Messaging - via technologies such as Skype or Messenger
- Wikis - sharepoint sites, or wiki environments where people within your organization can share information is another great way to transfer knowledge within your organization. This could be as simple as setting up a Google site or internal blog.
- Pre-recorded Webinars - Internal - webinars that your organization has recorded
- Pre-recorded Webinars - Other - these are webinars that your team can access via industry sources that are typically made available on-demand.
- Slidecasts - sharing information through slide decks via technology such as slideshare can be a great way to educate your team about SEO items.
- Video - video is huge and can be highly effective at educating your team about any subject.
- Creation of Video (sharing of information)
- Watching of Video (acquiring information)
- iPhone App - why not create an inexpensive iPhone app that features knowledge that could be stored within? This data could be as simple as a white paper or book that has been transcribed and can be accessed via a mobile device?
Labels: seo education, seo knowledge transfer
|posted by Jody @ Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Excellent post; very informative. This one is definitely tweetable!
Something I started doing in commments is telling people how I found them, kinda fun;
organic search query:
sempo state of search report+review
....last one on page 1
Such a nice article to share the knowledge of SEO.
Really I am very thankful to you.
|Post a Comment