|SES NY 2009: Day One Session of the Day: Guy Kawasaki Keynote
|Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Well day one of SES NY has wrapped up and it was a day that got started a little late, but started with one of my favorite speakers Guy Kawasaki talking about Twitter. This ended being my favorite part of day one. Guy Kawasaki gave some great insight into Twitter and described how he uses Twitter as a marketing tool. Other than the keynote starting about 20 minutes late, Guy took the full hour to discuss some of his favorite Twitter tools and gave the audience some great tips on using Twitter.
Twitter As A Tool For Social Media
Guy Kawasaki was great as always. He communicated how he uses Twitter as a marketing tool. If I didn't know better, I would suggest that some of the practices Guy mentioned could be classified as spam. In fact throughout the day there were comments from many “social media practitioners” who were less than happy with Mr. Kawasaki's Twitter skills.
Guy started out by proclaiming his love for Twitter as a “beautiful thing” (his token saying). He said that with Twitter “Nobodies are the new somebodies” It doesn’t matter who you are, Twitter can be a great platform for everyone. Guy went on to suggest that Twitter has a large benefit in that you can reach a large audience for free (he called this the “democratization” of marketing... another beautiful thing).
He went on to discuss 10 tips for leveraging Twitter for marketing:
As mentioned, Guy was taking some heat for some of his Twitter ideas here are a couple of his tweets about it:
- Forget the A List
- Get Lots of Followers
- Monitor – what people are saying.
- Copy – what other companies are doing. As examples Guy mentioned Jet Blue, amazondeals, cirquelasvegas, and Comcast cares as examples. Twitter yourself or your company’s staff. Mentioned the use of a tool called Twibs.
- Search – use the advanced search to filter and segment.
- Get the right tools (for Twitter) – listed a number of tools including:
- Squeeze the trigger
- Make it easy to share - add badges and buttons to your blog or your website to get the most out of Twitter.
- Take the heat – if you are going to use Twitter, you need to be able to take the heat and be able to deal with the good and the bad.
So when these dweebs accuse me of being a spammer, it's like they are saying, "Guy, you're a delicacy." Holy kaw!
@jasonbrummels If I suck, lots of people like how I suck: http://retweetist.com/users
@drewmaniac I think many SES attendees would have preferred a pundit talking about how big social media is going to be than what I did.
Guy's Keynote in full can be found here:
Labels: Guy Kawasaki, SES NY 2009, twitter
|posted by Jody @ 9:23 PM