Yahoo Mosh and Google Socialstream... you might want to get familiar with these names. Something we have heard over the past little while is that both Google and Yahoo are working on some new social networks. According to a post from Infotech indiatimes.com:
...Elinor Mills, a blogger on CNET network, Google has sponsored a project at Carnegie Mellon University's Human Computer Interaction Institute that was designed to "rethink and reinvent online social networking." Quoting Google's Operating System blog as source, Mills writes that Dubbed "Socialstream," the service would be similar to a unified social network that would allow users to have accounts on multiple services but centralized contacts at a unified location.
Interesting as we have also heard rumors that Google was considering acquiring Facebook, the popular social utility that connects people with friends and others who work, study and live around them.
Yahoo too is working on a similar project called Mosh. According to TechCrunch, Yahoo Mosh can be found at mosh.yahoo.com but can only be accessed from inside the Yahoo offices. This is also interesting as last year Yahoo made a serious effort at acquiring Facebook but the deal was never closed. Hmm can you see the common denominator here?
For a screenshot of Yahoo Mosh go here. From the screenshot, Mosh looks pretty cool. Maybe it will be unveiled at SES San Jose. It appears that Yahoo has also posted a job description for a couple of folks to help mold Yahoo Mosh.
The Internet is a big, busy place, and we at Yahoo! are proud to stand out in the crowd. As the world’s number one Internet brand, servicing over a half billion people, we’re determined to maintain our commitment to delivering news, entertainment, information and fun… each and every day.
In order to maintain our position as one of the world’s most trafficked Internet destinations, we’re always on the lookout for people with big ideas and big talent to help us provide our visitors with the innovative products and services they’ve come to expect from Yahoo!. We’re looking for people like you.
How Big Can You Think?
Project overview and job responsibilities:
- Develop go-to-market tactics for new social communication service
for young adults
- Evangelize the product among your peers in the Yahoo intern class,
including setting up brown-bag sessions, parties, etc.
- Gather and analyze product feedback during “alpha” (pre-launch) period
- Assist with prioritizing product changes during pre-launch period
- Assist with copy-writing and copy-editing
- Assist with creating & executing guerilla marketing campaigns (e.g.
on campus, in cities, etc.)
- Assist with product blog set-up
Minimum job qualifications:It will be interesting to see who will release their social networking product first? Look for Google Socialstream and Yahoo Mosh in a social arena near you. Expect to see appearances by Social Networking Champions MySpace and Facebook there as well.
- The successful candidate for this role is a current student with an
active social life.
- You often find yourself organizing nights out with your friends
- You’re comfortable being the center of attention, or working behind
the scenes to make an event go off
- You may have organized and/or promoted parties, clubs, or concerts
- You’ve got lots and lots of friends on Facebook, Myspace, etc.
- After graduation, you see yourself getting into marketing, advertising, or PR
- Your enthusiasm is infectious
- You are damn funny
- You are a stickler for details
- You communicate well in conversation and in writing
- You are resourceful/scrappy
- You are creative
Labels: Google Socialstream, Yahoo Mosh