Bringing Search Marketing In-House - SEO 2007
| Thursday, June 14, 2007
||There has been a lot of discussion lately centering around bringing search engine marketing in-house. Many organizations are now understanding the importance of search marketing and are seeing the fantastic returns with lower investment (when compared to traditional media). Yet there are a number of companies who have a poor experience with search engine marketing. We often hear prospects saying that they are unhappy with their current vendor due to lack of customer service, strategic direction, high cost or lack of perceived value. As a result many organizations are looking to bring search marketing in-house.
Is bringing search engine marketing in-house a good thing?
Contrary to popular belief, search engine marketing is not something that you just do. It involves more than just tactical implementation. Search engine marketing means planning, developing strategies, getting buy-in from management and other company departments, forming partnerships, on-going training, understanding users and search engine algorithms. Search engine marketers should have a marketing background, should have some technical expertise and should be creative. Search engine marketing is not for your average marketing person.
Bringing search engine marketing in-house is inevitable and for that reason alone it is a good enough reason to bring it in-house. In fact, according to a 2005 survey by Jupiter Media and WebSourced, 54% of companies handle their PPC management and SEO internally. Other reasons for bringing search engine marketing in-house or keeping it in-house include:
Reason Why You Should Outsource Search Engine Marketing
- Budget - good search engine marketing does not come cheap. If your company is on a tight budget then having search marketing in-house and training existing staff can help you with any budget constraints that your marketing team may have.
- You already have a dedicated IT team that can make any necessary technical modifications and upload new content quickly.
- Fundamentals - you can train staff with fundamental SEO skills that will allow your company to plan an online strategy and implement necessary changes as required.
- You already have a Search engine marketing manager or team lead who can manage the program and work with all necessary departments including management, IT, sales and marketing.
- Time/Focus - you have the time to focus on an effective search engine marketing strategy and give it the necessary attention that it needs to flourish. This means understanding that organic results take time and that changes made today may not provide value until weeks possibly months down the road. Time also means that you have the available time for on-going training of staff with SEO and PPC practices as the search engine marketing industry changes on a regular basis.
- Flexibility - if your company and marketing department is able to adapt to new technologies and to things such as changes in the search engines algorithms, then you should consider keeping or moving your search engine marketing campaign in-house.
- You have the Proper Skill Sets - if your company currently has the necessary skill sets in place you may be better served to perform all of your search engine marketing in-house.
The question becomes what are my options when it comes to developing a search marketing campaign? Really there are three options:
- Expertise - a good search engine marketing company can provide high end search engine preferred (white-hat) recommendations to bolster your online marketing campaign.
- Dedicated Resources - managing a successful paid and organic SEO campaign takes a dedicated staff to keep on top of latest developments and creation of strategies.
- Training - a good search engine marketing company should be able to provide you with the tools and knowledge that your team needs to eventually take all of your SEO in-house.
- Save Time - many organizations simply do not have the time to effectively manage their SEO and PPC. If this is the case, bringing in a search engine marketing company who can consult with or who can help implement changes can free up time with your online marketing team.
- Strategic Direction - effective search engine marketers make a living on creating innovative online marketing strategies that will have a positive impact on your bottom line which may include an increase in qualified traffic to your site resulting in more qualified leads and ultimately more revenue being generated.
The ideal scenario for many organizations may be the third option until your in-house team becomes educated to a point where your search engine marketing campaign can be brought entirely in-house.
- Bring Search Marketing In-House
- Outsource Search Marketing to a Qualified Vendor
- Combo Option where the majority of search marketing is done in-house with the assistance of a search marketing firm for higher strategic direction.
Five Ways to Determine Whether You Should Bring Search Marketing In-House
When To Bring Search Marketing In-House
Should You Bring Search Marketing In-House?
We will have more on this interesting topic in upcoming weeks.
Labels: bringing search engine marketing in-house
|posted by Jody @ Thursday, June 14, 2007