|As we reported last week, Wednesday, September 26th, 2007 was to be the inaugural Microsoft Searchification Day where Microsoft would take the time to discuss where they are going in Search. Vanessa Fox was at Searchification and Greg Sterling over at Search Engine Land had great reviews about Microsoft Searchification.
According to Vanessa Fox, the three main areas being focused on by Live Search are:
For a more detailed review of the topics of Microsoft's Searchification Day, check out the excellent post from Vanessa Fox courtesy of Search Engine Land.
- Web Search Improvements - finally. We have actually noticed more relevant results in Live Search recently. Microsoft states that they have made improvements with things like stop words, punctuation, acronyms, spaces between words, and plurals and that this has improved 30% of the worst results and 10% of overall queries.
- Vertical Enhancements - This is Live's answer to Google's Universal Search. Microsoft is looking to improve things such as Maps and their Local Search offering including some 3-D stuff and upgrades to their Virtual Earth products. They are also looking to improve their mobile search functionality and working on things such as voice activated search. They are also focusing on the Health vertical where they feel privacy becomes more important for the search user.
- Webmaster Tools - we are really excited about this one as this is something that is long overdue from Microsoft. In August, Microsoft announced their new Webmaster Portal to address issues such as:
- Troubleshooting tools to ensure MSNBot is effectively crawling and indexing your site
- Sitemap creation, submission and ping tools
- Statistics about your website
- Consolidation of content submission resources
- New content and community resources
Labels: microsoft searchification